For Students Applying for Conference Travel Reimbursement Awards:
We try, when possible, to help support the costs of students who have been invited to show student work or present at out of town conferences. Funding for such trips each semester is scarce, here is the process.
- Applications will be considered for travel expenses outside of a 50 mile radius of NYC -- for such things as airfare, car rental, hotel stays, and meals. Awards range from $100.00 to $500.00.
- You must apply IN ADVANCE to be considered. We can't accept "after the fact" requests for reimbursement. The applications have to wait for the next faculty meeting for a decision.
- Please send your request via email to Midori Yasuda email@example.com.
- If you have been granted an award, Midori will provide you with detailed instructions as to how to request reimbursement (providing us with original receipts, etc.) - see below for the official University guidelines and policies. Those who do not follow these guidelines for accounting for their expenses in a timely manner may forfeit their opportunity for reimbursement.
University Guidelines & Policies on the Reimbursement of Travel Expenses:
You must submit your request for reimbursement,
along with all supporting documentation, no later than 60 days after the
completion of your trip.
- Travelers are expected to
purchase economy-class travel.
- Business class travel may be
allowed for overseas flights and continuous flights exceeding 6 hours, but must
be pre-approved by the Department Chair.
- Airline / Rail: Receipts should confirm the trip details, as well as the method of
payment and the amount paid. Boarding passes for all flights are required.
- Conference / Seminar: Registration receipts should show name, date, venue, and cost.
Please also provide proof of attendance, such as a conference badge or any
other supporting materials.
- Hotel / Lodging: An itemized bill for lodging and expenses, or a printout of an
online transaction is required. Hotel / lodging expenses should not exceed a
maximum of $300.00 per night.
- Business Meals: Detailed, itemized receipts and written business purpose of the
meals are required.
- Credit Card Statement: It is strongly encouraged to provide a credit card statement
highlighting all charges made for which reimbursement is sought. Any unrelated
charges may be blacked out.
Foreign Currency Policies:
- Expenses should be reported
in U.S. dollars with a conversion calculation attached. Conversions should
reflect the conversion rate on the date of the expense or charge.
- For a free online currency
converter, please use the following: https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
When in doubt, please save all travel materials and documentation related to your trip. The more information you can provide, the faster we can process your requests for reimbursement.